Troposfera QA is an app to predict the AQI (Air Quality Index) in a quickly and intuitively way in your location or at any other point of the Iberian Peninsula just making a long press on the map.
Download: Android 4.0.3 (3.5MB)
Runs offline: no
Last update: Android 28/05/2015
Website of the developer: Troposfera
Troposfera QA is an application that tells you about atmospheric pollution level existing anywhere in Spain according to the data of Air Quality Index (AQI). This index is usually regarded as an indicator “to communicate to the public how polluted the air currently is or how polluted it is forecast to become”, as recalls its definition in Wikipedia.
The application includes the following information, that it is accessible from a menu located in the upper left (click on the logo of the application):
- Prediction 24h, tab that lets you check the prediction based on the location of the user (symbol in the upper right) or, by clicking on the direction bar shown, selecting the location on the map that opens with a long press. The display shows the quality index expected based on 4 categories represented by different colors: good, acceptable, bad and very bad. Clicking on the center circle, you can access to recommendations based on the atmospheric pollution level and the physical condition of the user. The location can be stored as a favorite through the star located next to the index. The app also includes information about 5 pollutants: carbon monoxide (CO), nitrogen dioxide (NO2), ozone (O3), particulate matter less than 10 µm in diameter (PM10) and sulfur dioxide (SO2). Clicking on each gas, information about it is displayed. The bottom graph scrolls over different time ranges.
- Locations, showing various options for searching and selecting the desired location.
- Favorites, where the locations marked as such are stored.
- News, section in which news related with air pollution related are shown.
- Who we are, tab that includes a presentation of the company.
- Settings, where you can enable support for the selection of locations with Google Maps.
Air Quality Index (AQI) basics (*.pdf, 1.1MB)
Images: Screenshots 14/12/2015. ©Troposfera
The air pollution is one of the problems of modern society with greater and more serious consequences. Its impact on health is well established, with a special condition on respiratory and heart disease. Similarly and as reports regularly published by the European Environment Agency (in this link you can download the 2015 report), alert, certain air pollutants «have a potential impact on the planet’s climate and global warming in the short term».
Similarly to other applications already analysed on this website (Caliope, Plume Air Report, Air Now), the main function of Troposphere QA is informing citizens, especially those who live in urban areas, which are experiencing the effects of air pollution to a greater extent. The design of the application is rather careful, although it is necessary to adjust the encoding of accented words, since the names of some municipalities are not well written. In relation to the information, are missing more recommendations. The same advices are attached to the “bad” and “very bad” categories. It would also be desirable to include the values for particulate matter with diameter less than 2.5μm (PM2.5), which are the most damaging to the respiratory system. It could also be of interest the incorporation of an early warning system that could be activated at the user and could be useful for risk groups.