Elliotforwater.com is the first search engine that gives the possibility to its users to help the people in need of drinkable water […] for free simply by surfing the net

Source: Elliot For Water / Image: Bob Metcalf Public Domain

Useful information

Access: web

Price: free

Language: multilingual (You can configure the web language from the Settings menu. Searches can be done in any language)

Runs offline: no

Last update: 

Website of the developer: Elliot For Water

Description

Elliot For Water is a search engine (like Google, for example) that allows, while you surf the internet, the financing of humanitarian projects to access to drinking water. Search results are provided by Bing.

The money collection is done when you click on the sponsored links, which usually appear at the top of the screen and which in Elliot for Water receive the name of Water Links. Explained in an easy way, this Pay-Per-Click or PPC system (which is the same that Google Adwords uses) works as follows: a search engine offers advertising space to a company or particular X that wants to advertise. If the user that is surfing the internet finds this advertisement interesting and clicks on the link, the search engine will charge a previously agreed amount of money to the advertiser. In the case of Elliot For Water, 60% of the previous cost is used for donation and the remaining 40% is reinvested in the company (in some presentations, like the one used in the ISNTD Water Conference London 2015, the indicated percentage was 70-30%. It is not clarified if Bing, Microsoft’s property, also receives a part).

With the money raised, Elliot For Water in collaboration with Solwa, an Italian company that has designed a water purification system through solar energy, carries out projects in different countries to provide potable water to the population. In addition to water supply, they also fund agriculture projects in arid zones (Irriwa) or initiatives for the drying of food with renewable energy (Foodwa).

More information

whttp://www.elliotforwater.com/faq

Elliot For Water, the new search engine that uses 70% of its profits to undertake water projects in developing countries (ISNTD Water Conference London 2015)

Images: Screenshots 12/12/2016. ©Elliot For Water

Rating
3.8

Analysis

Although Elliot For Water moves away from the concept of tools analyzed routinely in this web, since it is not a web application per se, it addresses a human need as is the access to the water, guaranteeing its healthiness through technologies which use solar energy, thus, linking with a concept close to sustainable development. If to this circumstance is also added the possibility of developing projects related to agricultural production and food conservation, the benefit is multiplied, eliminating outbreaks of diseases and contributing to food security. It should also be remembered that in many countries they’re women who usually have to transport the water from the supply point to their house, wells that may be several kilometers away, being an activity that occupies many hours and could be used for other activities such as studying or acquiring new skills.

The business model implemented by Elliot For Water is very similar to the one that works in the search engine Ecosia and that seems to be yielding good results (regarding the latest search engine, it is advisable to read this article. Although it was written a few years ago, it sheds light on interesting aspects, highlighting the contributions made by readers and, especially, the one by a user named Ron dated 15/04/2016). Regarding Elliot For Water and despite the fact that its mission is commendable (and according to YouTube videos, it works), it gives the impression of a certain abandonment in terms of the communication of results (the last published financial report is January of 2016). It would also be necessary to point out if ads blockers affect searches.

Sending
User Review
0 (0 votes)
(Visited 73 times, 1 visits today)

Técnico de medio ambiente, community manager y content curator especializada en temas de medioambiente - Environmental technician, community manager and content curator specialised in environmental issues