AVIS Project is a collaborative database of geolocated bird sightings in Spain that allows the exchange of information between ornithologists, associations and amateurs
Language: English / Spanish (species searches can also be carried out in Catalan, Basque and Galician)
Runs offline: no
Last update: Android 15/11/2016 (v. 1.1.4)
Website of the developer: AVIS Project
AVIS Project is an initiative that, through citizen science, enables bird sightings and their registration in Spanish territory, creating in this way a geolocated database (with respect to UTM 10×10 km grid. The app doesn’t provide exact coordinates).
Once installed, the device’s GPS detects your situation to determine in which UTM grid you are located. The application does not require the opening of a user account to make queries, a requirement necessary only if you wish to register new bird sightings.
The menu includes the following options:
- Refresh location and Check location, to correctly define the geographical location area.
- Species in my location, where you can also select the year.
- Search observations, tab from which you can search through the included drop-down list or through textual search. You can also make use of the numerous filters available to adjust your query. The fields Observation code and Period code are created from the web app and basically serve to gather data from different registered observers under a same code of identification previously communicated. In this way, coordinated censuses can be carried out..
- Search periods, from where you can perform searches based on known bird observatories or itineraries that have allowed the recording of observations.
- UTM squares coverage, section in which the number of recorded observations, species, etc. are included as a summary. It also includes a map in which the density of sightings can be visualized.
- Species, tab containing the number of observations, individuals, UTM grids with sightings and number of collaborators who have contributed information. By clicking on each species, a tab with information on the observations made is displayed
- Contributors, where the different users and the main statistics of their observations are listed.
- Users, option to register as a new user or sign up to upload new sightings.
- The project, section containing a description of the genesis and objectives of the project.
It is worth mentioning that from the web page can also make queries (if you choose to view the results on map, it is offered as a possibility the loading of additional information layers such as relief, average temperature or rainfall).
Furthermore to being able to export the sightings to files with *.cgi extension (to open these files with Excel, for example, you have to change the file extension to *.csv), the web page includes la the possibility to download a package created for R software that allows the statistical analysis of the AVIS Project database (this specialized analysis package was described in this PLOS ONE article).
Images: screenshots 08/02/2017. ©Proyecto AVIS